Police search for mother who left children on roadside to "look for God" | News
WETUMPKA, AL (WSFA) - The Elmore County Sheriff's Office is asking for help locating a woman they believe to be in extreme emotional distress after she left her children on the side of the road to go "look for God."
Authorities are searching for 28-year-old Lamona Fields Bender after she abandoned her children on Monday near the 600 block of Harragote Springs Road. Her vehicle was later located two miles away.
Investigators say Bender is in extreme emotional distress - authorities need to find her to evaluate her emotional state.
The children were found unharmed.
Bender was last seen near the Wetumpka Winn-Dixie wearing a dark-colored sun dress and carrying a Bible. Family members say she's going through a tough time right now.
Authorities say a tracking team including canine units searched for Bender Monday night into Tuesday morning. Investigators would like anyone with information on this case, or who knows Bender's whereabouts to contact local authorities.
Upcoming Events near Wetumpka
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Court documents: Fmr. Tallassee asst. police chief stole handgun
- Elmore Co. DA forced to drop 100 counts against alleged child predator
- Former Tallassee asst. chief accused of evidence tampering, intimidation
- Grizzell enters 'not guilty' plea in baby death case
- 2 Tallassee H.S. band members to march in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade