Learn how to manage pests via 'Don't Bug Me' webinar series | Environment
Got ants? Tired of ladybug invasions in the fall? Brought home bed bugs from your last trip? Alabama Cooperative Extension professionals will moderatre a free webinar series that will take on all of these topics. In 2013, most of the webinars will be on fire ants and other invasive ant specias. Other topics for the year include bed bugs and various insects that invade homes each autumn.
Alabama Extension entomologist Dr. Kathy Flanders says these free webinars are designed for homeowners and the general public.
"We will provide them wilth sound, research-based management solutions for these pests from some of the best experts around the country," she says. "The webinars are specifically for ordinary people wno need answers they can use."
"Participating is as simple as clicking on a web link."
Each webinar will begin at 1 p.m. Central Time and will last 30 to 45 minutes.
Flanders says not to worry if you cannot tune in for the live webinar.
"The webinars will be recorded and archived. If you missione, you will be able to watch a free recording later."
First Friday of the Month Spring Series
February 1, 2013. Fire Ant Home Remedies - What Works, What Doesn't. Home remedies for fire ant control are dominating the internet. Learn what works and what doesn't. Learn about safe and effective techniques for fire ant management for home landscapes. Hosted by ACES Regional Extension Agent Dani Carroll.
March 1, 2013. Ants! Ants! Ants! Tawny crazy ants and Argentine ants don't sting, but their large colonies are definitely annoying. Learn how these ants live and how to control them. Hosted by ACES Regional Extension Agent Bethany O’Rear.
April 5, 2013. You Have Fire Ants Where? Targeted fire ant management in sensitive and challenging areas including vegetable gardens, fish ponds, compost piles and electrical boxes. Hosted by ACES Regional Extension Agent Willie Datcher.
May 3, 2013. Protect Your Loved Ones From Fire Ants. Learn safe, effective, research-based methods to protect your family and pets from fire ants. Hosted by ACES Regional Extension Agent Charles Pinkston.
June 7, 2013. Get Rid of Those Bed Bugs. Learn how bed bugs live and get sound, research-based advice on how to get rid of them. Hosted by ACES Regional Extension Agent Chris Becker.
First Wednesday of the Month Fall Series
September 4, 2013. Fall - A Good Time to Control Fire Ants with Bait. Applying fire ant baits in the fall is an effective way to minimize fire ant problems in home lawns and other landscapes. Learn how to get the most out of your fire ant bait and discuss community-wide fire ant management programs. Hosted by ACES Regional Extension Agent Sallie Lee.
October 2, 2013. Home Invaders. Every fall certain bugs come into our houses looking for a place to spend the winter. Learn what they are and how to evict them. Hosted by ACES Regional Extension Agent Ellen Huckabay.
November 6, 2013. Keep Ants Off the Thanksgiving Table. Learn safe and effective ways to keep ants from invading your house. Hosted by ACES Regional Extension Agent Mallory Kelley.
As the date for each webinar approaches, watch eXtension’s Don’t be Bugged Webinar Series page for more information on that particular webinar.
Source: Alabama Cooperative Extension System
Top Wetumpka Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Millbrook boy to take on Washington, make a difference in fight over diabetes
- Millbrook baseball team reaching out to OK team it played over the weekend
- Millbrook dedicates new police and court facility
- Grand Opening Set for New City of Millbrook Police and Municipal Court Complex
- Group's fundraising efforts raise concerns
- City of Prattville gives details for Independence Day events.
- City to Participate in 2013 “Back to School” Sales Tax Holiday
- Prattville hosting Fountain City BMX race June 23rd
- City Announces Ribbon Cutting & Grand Opening of Splash Pad
- New 70 hour per week restriction to hit 18-wheeler drivers on July 1
- National Tae Kwon Do champion from Tallassee
- Authorities kill "nuisance" gator on Rifle Range Road
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallassee City Schools
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallapoosa County schools
- 3 suspects in Tallassee child sex abuse case have first court hearing